There are so many sources of genealogy information that it sometimes can get overwhelming. This page is my attempt to corral the resources that I find useful on a daily basis. Let me know what your favorite is… maybe it will make this list! I have broken this up into two types of resources: Paid Resources are the ones that I maintain a subscription for and Free Resources are the ones that are available to anyone at no cost.
- Ancestry.com: Ancestry.com is a family of brands with deep roots in roots. They put family history in the hands of everyone by providing the most comprehensive resource for discovering who and what led to you. Their brands include Ancestry, AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Family Tree Maker, Fold3 and Newspapers.com.
- FindMyPast.com: Findmypast makes original historical documents available to search online, so that people can explore a collection of over two billion records find their ancestors and trace their family tree from the comfort of their own home worldwide.
- Irish Newspapers: Over 2 million pages of newspapers from Ireland.
- New England Historical and Genealogical Society: New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) is America’s founding genealogical organization and the most respected name in family history. They provide expert family history services through our staff, original scholarship, data-rich website, educational opportunities, and research center to help family historians of all levels explore their past and understand their families’ unique place in history.
- Newspapers.com: Newspapers.com is the online home of 116+ million pages of historical newspapers from 3,800 newspapers from around the United States and beyond. Newspapers provide a unique view of the past and can help us understand and connect with the people, events, and attitudes of an earlier time.
- 6 Websites That Will Help You Find German Ancestors
- 15,000 Free U.S. Historical Newspaper Links
- Automated Genealogy: Indexes of the Canadian census.
- Canada Online Historical Newspaper Links: Links to a variety of searchable new and old Canadian newspapers.
- Catholic Parish Registers at the NLI: This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.
- Digitized Books from the Boston Public Library: Huge assortment of old genealogies and other publications. All free from Boston’s Public Library.
- Ellis Island: Immigration records, free indexes and original records, fee to download copies
- FamilySearch.org: FamilySearch is the largest genealogy organization in the world. Millions of people use FamilySearch records, resources, and services each year to learn more about their family history.
- Find a Grave: Locate your ancestors in cemeteries across the globe.
- Google News Archive: Millions of archived newspaper pages.
- Hathi Trust Digital Library: The mission of HathiTrust is to contribute to research, scholarship, and the common good by collaboratively collecting, organizing, preserving, communicating, and sharing the record of human knowledge. They are building a reliable and increasingly comprehensive co-owned and co-managed digital archive of library materials converted from the print collections of the member institutions.
- Historical Newspapers Online (United States): Great link resource created by RIS Department, Van Pelt Library at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Irish Genealogy: Website allows users the opportunity to search a wide range of record sources in their search of their Irish Ancestry. The website is home to the on-line historic Indexes of the Civil Registers (GRO) of Births, Marriages, Civil Partnerships and Deaths and to Church Records of Baptism, Marriage and Burial from a number of counties.
- Irish Genealogy: 70 Top Resources for Finding Your Irish Ancestors: Great resource for online Irish research.
- Newton, Massachusetts Birth Records: 1635 through 1899
- Newton, Massachusetts Death Records: 1635 through 1899
- Newton, Massachusetts Marriage Records: 1635 through 1899
- Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics: Birth, marriage and death records from Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Nova Scotia Online Historical Newspapers Summary
- SocialMention.com: Social Mention is a social media search and analysis platform that aggregates user generated content from across the universe into a single stream of information.
- United States National Archives: Official US National Archives site, many free genealogy databases and resources.